Just another Saturday Night in America: According to me and Coke



It's was just another Saturday night, and my sweet North African friend wanted me to come to his birthday party early to keep him company. I got there late, which was still early. When I got there it was just my sweet friend and his friend, a guy from Syria. Shortly after, two other Arabic men arrived (they had the same name so we will call them Hmad). At this point my sweet North African friend left to pick up food. I was left with Syria, Hmad and Hmad (names have been changed- obviously).  Since my sweet North African friend did not  have furniture at the time, the guys sat on one side of the wall and I sat across. I decided to break the ice by taking turns asking the guys questions like one of those dating shows. English was definitely all of their second language.  Within 20 minutes 3 more Arabic men showed up. The new additions were from Morocco.  Being slightly outnumbered I felt a bit odd at this point, but, you know, day in my life. Then another one of my friends arrived, he is half Nigerian and half English.  Only problem was his wife did not show up with him.  So at this point it was me and 7 international men.  I'm not gonna lie, kinda loved it. Eventually another Nigerian showed up and he brought an American couple. In case you are losing count: there were 2 American girls, one American/Puerto Rican Guy, 3 Moroccan men, 2 Saudi men, 1 Syrian man, and 2 Nigerian men. It was the start of a beautiful night.  I wish I could describe to you in full detail but since that is always impossible I'll just tell you to imagine lots of cigarettes, cursing in funny accents, hookah and Allah talk.


Later that night we decide to keep up our little United Nations, and we went salsa dancing.  I danced with 8 different men, each from a different country. With each, I did my ethical duty, and  explained to that I can not dance. My favorite, a short Hispanic guy would count (1 & 2) the whole time. As soon as he stopped I'd mess up and he would laugh and go (1 & 2).  At the end of the night another Hispanic guy asked me to dance. I could tell he wasn't getting my "I can't dance". In fact he didn't' understand me at all. He may have put his hand on my butt and tried to dance a little too close for comfort. So... I of course laughed, tried to speak in English and then danced awkwardly "not cute" without touching him at all.  Overall I danced with the nations.

Comments

  1. This was a very long time ago, hence why you were not there :)! But thank you for the "Good Job"! Miss you friend.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts