Sorry boo, I don't trust you!

Do you Trust Me?

Whenever a guy asks me if I trust him, I always think of Aladdin holding out his hand to Jasmine. I am glad that line worked out for Jasmine, but unfortunately it has yet to work out for me. Time and time again some sweet young man asks, "Do you trust me?" Despite a lifetime of rejection, I say, yes, yes, of course I trust you. You are my friend. I know you would never willingly hurt me.  And though I am scared, I wouldn't mind singing a duet to A Whole New World as we look at the stars from our magic carpet.  Admit it, we all want the fairy tale. So yes, yes of course I trust you.

Well unless you've seen a fairy tale where Prince Charming breaks up with his princess because he doesn't feel emotionally ready, or where he says I only slept with "X" number of girls, than my life has never ended in a fairy tale.  Though Red, Yellow, Black and White are precious in His sight; they have each been d-bags in my sight.  And so, I have decided the fairy tale doesn't exist. If you ask me, "Do I trust You?" the answer will be no. I don't trust you, because quite frankly Jesus didn't trust you (John 2:24).  Jesus loved fearlessly, even though he knew he would be betrayed by those who pledged their undying faithfulness. He did not entrust himself to the accolades of man, because he knew what was in man. He chose me while I was still a sinner, an open enemy of God. He didn't trust me, he trusted his Father.

So, in case you are unaware, you are not trustworthy, at least not completely. You are a sinner saved by grace, and on this earth you are still wrestling with your sin. There are moments where you will cry like Paul that although you desire to do good, you keep on doing the evil you do not wish to do. You will kick yourself every time you let down a sweet brother or sister in the faith. Their tears and heartache will haunt you. You will hate the words you didn't mean to say, because you know how they turned to swords stabbing hearts that you pledged to protect.  So, sweet brother or sister, you are not any more trustworthy than myself. We will continue to hurt each other, no matter  how good our intentions, but He will continue to redeem, no matter how big our error. God is trustworthy, you and I, are not.

It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to trust in man. Psalm 118:8

Comments

Popular Posts