Why Bruno Mars Makes Me Long for Heaven?


I can't connect with most Christian music. I try, I really do, but most contemporary Christian music does little for me. My soul does, however, connect with the heart break of Otis Redding, the bitterness of Carrie Underwood, and of course the love ballads of my Boys II Men (and a select few less shady R. Kelly). There have been numerous occasions where I have read my Bible while jamming to what most people would consider sacrilegious music. I refrain from lifting up my praise hands in agreement  when Mary J. is confessing how Me and Mr. Wrong have a good thing going on, and when Otis is cry-singing about how images are burned in his eyes and mind.  Soul music reminds me of the fallenness of humanity, our heart break and deep longing, well and I just like it. What can I say, it connects and sometimes makes me long for my Savior a little more.

So it is with that prequel that I connect a Pop song to the gospel. Yes I am that girl.  As I was reading this week, my boy Bruno came on. I had to stop. His voice deserves full attention, amen? Playing was one of my favorites, a very short love ballad, If I knew. He repeats the lyric, "I wish I was 17 so I can give you all the innocence that you can give to me.  I wouldn't have done all the things I have done, if I knew one day you'd come." Obviously, Bruno is talking about his new love interest, and how his life would have been different, his decisions would have been different, if he had only known, only believed, that one day this special person would come. So judge if you want, but when I was jamming, holding back my praise hands, I thought, but that is true of me. I do forget my Savior is returning, but when I remember, it makes me want to live differently and reflect on so many of the dumb decisions I have made because I forgot. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts