Oh, Book 5 Harry, How Similar We Are!?!

I have been re-reading the Harry Potter series, because I am cool and I have chosen fictitious friends over real people ;)! This weekend I completed book 5 . If you remember, book 5 is the one where Harry is in a bad mood the WHOLE time. You want to yell at him to "SNAP OUT OF IT!", but you know he can't hear you because you have tried before and, well, it didn't work.


Ok, ok, so Harry's in a bad mood the whole time, but more than just being cranky, he is angry.  Sometimes his anger turns to uncharacteristic rage.  In fact, throughout the book Harry is resentful towards Dumbledore who he presumes no longer cares for him. The few times he is with Dumbledore, Harry has an overwhelming desire to hurt him (he also thinks he is a snake).  Harry is weird, but is, usually, one of the good guys. He shouldn't be filled with rage or a desire to kill people. It is crazy. Again, yelling at him, won't change how this tragic tale goes down. Harry is mad. Harry is filled with impulses to hate and kill.

Oh, book 5 Harry, how similar we are!  I don't want to kill people, well not usually, but over the past few weeks I have been annoyed and critical of EVERYONE.  Seriously, none of you (my loyal readers) have measured up to my standards. I hate to be the one to tell you, but someone had to. You have failed me, because you didn't call when I needed to talk, or because you did call when I didn't want to talk. You were cranky when I was happy, and then happy when I was cranky. You were too picky, too flirty, too prudish, too holy, too sinful, and just didn't measure up to me, book 5 Brittany. I know, you want to yell, "Snap out of it!" You actually probably should because I am a real person and can hear you, although not over the blog.

Anyway... at the end of book 5, Dumbledore reveals his reasons for avoiding Harry, loving protection.  Dumbledore knew that Harry could feel the thoughts and desires of his arch nemesis, Voldemort. Voldemort was flooding Harry's mind with desires to hurt Dumbledore. Since Harry did not take seriously the warning to protect himself against the infiltration of Voldemort's lies, he was unable to distinguish between his thoughts and Voldemort's.

If you have been tracking with my extremely dorky analogy, you probably know where this is going. Sometimes we are jerks, because life has hurt us and we don't feel like being positive anymore. In those times we are most susceptible to the lies of the enemy whose desire is to divide and conquer.  He tells us every awful thing about everyone around us. We begin to lift ourselves above every other person, leaving only feelings of isolation and pride. It's a miserable place.

I am choosing to live in the truth of the last 10 pages of Harry Potter 5, where the problem is revealed and Harry finally "SNAPS OUT OF IT!"


For those of you who are dorkier than myself and are actually angry that these aren't images from Harry Potter: The Order of Phoenix, I need you to Let it Go!



Comments

Popular Posts