When I Growl Why Do You Still Try to Pet Me?

When I was 12 I was sort of a self proclaimed puppy whisperer.  I had never met a dog that didn't love me. I knew God wanted me to be a vet, despite the fact that He had made me brutally allergic. One day I biked over to a boy's house. I was standing awkwardly in his foyer when I saw his sweet little puppy, Brandy.  Since I was the puppy whisperer, Brandy made me feel safe. I didn't even notice her growls as I approached, or her teeth chomping as my hand reached in to pet her head.



I bled for 7 hours.

I now notice when a puppy is growling.

I thought about this story the other morning. I have never exactly been what people would call a "morning person."  My college roommates used to avoid me until hmm about lunch time. When I started drinking coffee in 2007, they made me pledge I would never quit. My best friend used to spy and check out how much coffee I had consumed before trying to speak with me in the morning.  My morning face exudes hatred and hostility.




Ok so I don't know what is happening lately.  I still hate mornings. I am still unbelievably scary, and although I can't see my face, I am pretty sure it still says "leave me the heck alone" (I almost said something harsher, but edited for my classier readers ;)!  People keep trying to talk to me- pre-coffee/pre-Jesus.  Unbelievable!  The other day someone actually made a phone call in my bedroom as I was getting ready.  She literally paced around my room talking excitedly to someone else's grandma.  I didn't bite her, but I wanted to. Eventually we got in my car and she tried to make pleasant small talk which I hate equally as much as mornings.

Yesterday I was in an exceptionally bad mood.  I had my usual don't mess with me the coffee is not working face on, but people kept talking to me!  They kept asking me what was wrong or what they did.  I kept kindly saying with clinched fists "I'm just really tired and annoyed right now." They weren't getting it. They just kept talking to me.

What happened to me that people are no longer scared of me? Has my face changed? Am I just hanging out with young people who don't know the universal face of, "Leave me the H-E-double-hockey-sticks alone!"  Is this a blessing or a curse? I don't know. Endless questions are running through my head.  I don't know what face you see, or why you aren't scared, but you should be, so for your safety, please stop talking to me in the morning. NO I am not having a good day, no I don't care about what you dreamed last night, and no its nothing you did.


Comments

  1. On my drive to work in the morning I see all these people talking on their phones and I just can.not.comprehend. There is NOBODY I want to call at 7 A.M.!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts