Secret Racism


When my sweet friend told me she was dating someone, she didn’t even think to mention that he was white. I didn’t even think to ask. I did ask if this mystery man loved Jesus, and if he displayed Godly maturity. She told me that in the 4 years that she had known him, she was consistently impressed by his genuine and humble walk with the Lord and the ways he loved and served their co-workers.

Last week this mystery man got a surprise visit/intervention from his grandmother. The elderly “God-fearing” woman drove over an hour to express her concern for her grandson. His grandmother was completely outraged that he would defame their family name by dating a black girl! What was he thinking!

As most Americans know, this is not an isolated situation. I can spout off story after story of couples receiving similar rebukes. From Cubans being told they needed to marry whiter, to bi-racial couples being warned to not have children lest they be an abomination (true story).  The most horrific part is that these altercations often come veiled as genuine concern and Godly protection. 
“I am not racist. I am just concerned for your kids, and how others will treat them.”

“It’s not an issue of inequality more an issue of cultural difference. You come from different cultures. Your marriage would be easier if you married someone from the same culture.”

My blood boils just typing out things that I have heard other people say. What can I say, I hate- Hate. I just do.  The thing that makes me angrier than racism, is racism that poises itself as Christianity. So to make sure that I am not the one confused about the gospel, let me write out the gospel as I see it displayed throughout scripture.

1.       God created the world, all of it. He created mankind, male and female, from whom ALL of humanity derives (Genesis 1).

2.       Sin entered the world through one man, and spread to ALL mankind (Romans 1-3).

3.       God chose Abram and his family as an instrument to display His love and glory and by extension bless ALL the nations (Gen 12-50).

4.       The law was given to Moses. Although the law was not sin it served to make ALL man accountable for his sin (Exodus 20/Romans 7:7-25).

5.       Jesus Christ, the God man, came to earth to suffer die and rise for the salvation of ALL who believe in His name (1 Timothy 1:15).

Yes, the Bible does warn against being unequally yoked. Yes, the Old Testament does warn against intermarrying with other nations. These situations were imposed to protect against losing the faith not losing the “race”. It is okay if you feel uneasy when you see an interracial couple, but don’t simplify your discomfort by calling it sin.  Get to the bottom of what you feel and why, because if a Godly man (who I find attractive) asks me out, I don’t really give a rat what color he is, and to be quite honest, I hope my kids have brown skin.
 
Oh and just to be clear, Moses agreed with me on this one. Also to be clear, this is not an actual picture of Moses and his African bride, since cameras weren't invented then (Numbers 12:1).
 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts