That Girl Was Straight Thirsty

According to Urban Dictionary, my source for all things reliable, to be "thirsty" is to be overly desperate and eager. There are lots of other definitions for "thirsty" but I have selected the more appropriate. The basic gist, when you are thirsty you are desperate for love… in all the wrong places. Worse than being thirsty is being perceived as thirsty.



Last week, my sister sent me a random email that instructed me to text the attached phone number. Unquestioningly, I texted this random number.
"Hey, what's up? This is Brittany."

Silence.

"Hey, who is this? Abby gave me your number and told me to message you."

Random number, "Who is this? Who is Abby?"

Questions and confusion were swapped for approximately 10 minutes until random number finally explained that he thought he had been messaging me all day on my match.com account, but apparently it had been my sister. In a terrible attempt to quench my "thirst" my sister had created a secret match.com account on my behalf, hooked a man, and gave me his number. Game. Set. Match.




Abby is not the only one on the mission to quench my thirst, Sprite has been offering to help me out for years. It is crazy to think that Sprite, a sugary carbonated beverage, is allowed to advertise that they actually "Quench Thirst" and recruit athletes to help them. The only way you can convince me that Lebron is drinking a Sprite before his games, is if you use it as his excuse for losing the last two NBA championships. Either way, I am doubtful.




In many ways we are all thirsty, physically or relationally, and are often left unsatisfied.  This week as I was reading John 4 outside of my fancy office building, I watched as handsome businessman after handsome businessman passed me by, unnoticed. My invisibility opened up the story of John 4 in a new way.  It struck me that the Samaritan woman that Jesus speaks to at the well, was "THIRSTY, both the Sprite and the Urban Dictionary kind of thirsty.   She had 5 husbands and still was not satisfied.  She was a social outcast but her thirst forced her to continually draw water at the communal well.

There are days when my thirst seems unquenchable, whether it’s a thirst for a man, a drink, or something new and exciting to make life seem less lame.  On those days I find an unrest in my soul that nothing quite settles, until, that is, I read God’s word.  Jesus offered  the woman at the well a water that would quench her thirst forever, her true thirst.  To the question of my thirsty soul, Jesus answered, “Whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” (John 4:13-14)

Comments

Popular Posts