All in a Day’s Commute



My alarm starts its gentle screeching at 6am. By 6:50am (at the very latest) I start my mad dash to get dressed and out of the door before 7.   I make my sprint to the car, dressed, made up, coffee in hand, and lunch box on my arm. Since I never have enough time to let my car warm up, to navigate I typically roll down all the windows and stick my head out like a dog. Some days, like today, one of my sweet family members decides to spice up my morning routine by parking their car half way up the driveway. I am then forced to attempt a 70-point turn with my head out the window and my undrunk coffee balanced in my hand. 

Once I finally manage to get out of the driveway, I face the next challenge of the day, selecting my route, a delicate balance of luck and science.  Between 7am and 7:05am there is one bus-less window where I can navigate through a neighborhood thereby avoiding the terror of the interstate. Of course if I miss my 5 minute window, I am forced to select an alternate route.  It’s sorta like being on that 70’s game show, Let’s Make a Deal where you have to choose if you want to trade what you have for what is hidden behind one of the 3 doors.  Each morning, I take a chance on either route 1, 2, or 3.  I may be choosing a route filled with car accidents, bumper to bumper standstill traffic, new drivers, or18-wheelers that are blocking all 6-lanes, OR, maybe, just maybe, I have selected the hidden door of traffic-less bliss.  It is all in a day’s commute!


Forty, or so, soothing minutes later, I finally reach my destination, a cubicle filled with fluorescent lighting. Since my home preparation is done mostly in the dark, this is also the moment where I finally get to see how I actually look. Some days I stand in awe of my ability to miraculously put together a presentable ensemble! More frequently than I’d like to admit, I stare in shock at what I am stuck with for the rest of the work day. There was the day that people kept asking me if I intentionally dressed like a pirate, or the day where I did an entire presentation before anyone pointed out that my middle button was undone. I have shown up in see through outfits, and skirts too tight to be worn outside the club (that actually happened yesterday). I have had only one eye lined and both cheeks a hotter pink than fitting outside of the 1980’s.  I have used every office supply imaginable (pens, binder clips, and rubber bands) to make my frizzed out wild hair office appropriate. Nothing says business casual like a bun locked into place with office supplies!

At 8:30am with hair in place, coffee in hand and lunch in the fridge, I finally start my day. Next to my desk, highlighted in blue, I have posted, “If, in Christ, we have hope in this life only, we are of all people, most to be pitied”. 1 Corinthians 15:19

It serves as a gentle reminder, that in light of today's monotony, not to lose sight of tomorrow's hope!

Therefore, my dear brothers and sisters, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” 1 Corinthians 15:58

Comments

Popular Posts