Honesty Check: Why the Church is full of Hypocrites

I am the person that you are referring to when you say you don’t go to church because they are all hypocrites.  I mean I don’t want to take credit for everything, but… I’ll go ahead and take credit for my part.  When you meet me I present myself like I got it ALL together, and, most days, I trick myself into believing that is true. I have Christian-y tattoos, I can spout Bible stories and various church doctrines, I never get drunk (buzzed maybe, but not drunk), and I dispense sage advice like it is NOTHING. 

I mean I have a blog post where I compare myself to a nun.  I might look like a nun on the outside, but I am DEFINITELY not ok with my circumstantial celibacy/barrenness.  If I am a nun, it was by ACCIDENT or perhaps God’s sovereignty but that is a different conversation for a different day.  As a token church hypocrite, it is EASY for me to tell you what you shouldn’t be doing and how you should be growing in your faith; however, if you notice something off in my life, I will twist it to sound Godly, justifying my actions and using fancy words to make them sound deep. I have mastered the skill of making seemingly unwise decisions look like bold steps for Christ’s kingdom.  

Currently, I am playing with sin, justifying my actions, because I want what I want.  I do want it, and I think I deserve it.  Even as I type it, I know its wrong, but I can’t stop myself.  When I long to do good, evil lies close at hand. I long to be above reproach but I see myself sneaking away to do not what HE wants, but what I want… what I foolishly believe I deserve.


Honesty Check:  The battle is real and aint nobody got it down! Nobody, baby.

I apologize for the days I make it seem like I can get you to heaven… follow me and you will find your way!?!

Honesty Check:  I believe in Jesus because I don’t believe in myself, or you, for that matter.  

Sin always has consequences. Sin will always block us from God.  In the Old Testament, the high priest would first go and make a sacrifice for his own sins, and then he would sacrifice for the sin of the people.  Over and over and over and over again, asking forgiveness for his sins and then the sins of the people.  It was an endless cycle like a hamster stuck in one of those wheels.  But, Christ, had no need to offer a sacrifice for himself since he is actually perfect. He offered himself, once and for all as the ultimate sacrifice for sin (Hebrews 7: 23-28).



So, we all gotta trust in something. You make the choice. I am going to tell you right now, trusting in me would be dumb.

Oh, Wretched man that I am, who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death! Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7:24-25)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts