Two Weeks and Counting

Two weeks ago, in an attempt at spontaneity, I took a flight to DC. Ever the penny pincher, I flew in on Monday and took the train straight to work. By 9:30am, I was double fisting (the appropriate version) two coffees and heading to my office. I am not sure how I got through that day or even how I made it home, although I faintly recall my brother-in-law, Reidster, driving me.  My only goal: make it through the door and to my bed.


Instead… I came home to a super sick and secretly pregnant sister, Abby. Since Abs was unable to get out of bed, we all rotated between taking care of her and my niece. The next couple of days were a whirlwind. Eventually Reidster took my niece to my parent’s house, so he could focus on my sister. By Thursday, Abby was in the hospital diagnosed with the Kate Middleton disease, hyperemesis.

By Friday we had 3 construction workers/plumbers installing a shower in the basement bathroom. Since it was supposedly a two-day project, we didn’t cancel the appointment.   At the end of Friday my bathroom looked like a prisoner dug his way to freedom.


By Saturday, my parents decided to pass my niece off to my aunt and drive from SC to Atlanta to assist in the hospital. Of course the only logical thing was for me to drive the 3.5 hours from Atlanta to SC to represent my family at a wedding. It was a drive-by. Came in, made a speech, so everyone knew I was there, and was back in Atlanta by 10am Sunday morning to pick up the kids that I (pre-hospital and prison break) volunteered to babysit overnight.

Despite the fact there was a toilet on the back porch and a giant Alice in Wonderland hole in the bathroom floor, Monday morning proved a success with both kids dressed and ready for the bus before 7am. It was a team effort. Monday evening, however, proved much less successful. On the hospital front, sister was still too sick to eat. On the home front, the two-day bathroom-remodel was stretched to four and in an ironic twist of fate the upstairs sink was now backed up with black water.

The abridged version of Tuesday to Sunday:  Abby is still sick and hospitalized but they have ordered a PICC line so she can start receiving nutrients and meds in a more disgusting way (feel free to google image), but it also means that she may get to go home soon. The plumbing for the downstairs bathroom is finished, but since we only paid for the plumbing, we are all assisting my mom to finish the walls and tile the floors and shower. In a moment of delirium my mom might have cut the meat off her pinky finger with an electric drill saw. Since the show must go on, she was bandaged, medicated and sent back to work singing “Sunday, bloody Sunday”.  The upstairs sink was fixed by draining the pipeline that runs through the wall in my bedroom.  After deep cleaning the carpet, repainting the wall and putting my bed back together, my room only has a slight smell of mildew.


We are on a diet of caffeine and take out. We go to work, do hospital duty and then come home to clean and repair the chaos. We are in the middle of a storm, but Jesus calms the storm (in our case declogs the drain). Today in our house church the aesthetics were bloody fingers, grout, and IV’s , but the music was Jesus at the Center of it All.  Now to watch the Falcons lose and clean up some more spit.

Comments

  1. Pretty article! I found some useful information in your blog, it was awesome to read. Take the opportunity and bring home something different to spend time, puppies make a very good human friend. The Maltipoo Puppy Breeders are known for lovable as well as caring nature, will love to be around you all the time. Are you in love of puppies? Make the most of this opportunity and bring home some of the best Toy Maltipoo Puppies breeds that are trending in the market.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful images. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts